Posted on Thursday 30th Mar 2017
The proposals follow years of campaigning from teachers, parents and industry leaders who say children in England are under too much stress from being tested at too young an age.
Controversial national curriculum tests taken by six and seven-year-olds in England are to be scrapped under radical new government proposals.
The move follows years of pressure from parents and industry leaders who argue the compulsory tests put children under too much stress at too young an age.
The Department for Education is instead proposing a new assessment for children when they first start school, which aims to "reduce the burden" of assessment on teachers and pupils.
01/10/21What changes are being made to GCSEs and A-levels next year?
Department for Education says 2022 will be a ‘transition year’
14/09/21Covid: Single jab recommended for 12 to 15-year-olds by UK's top doctors
Healthy children aged 12 to 15 should be offered one dose of a Covid vaccine, the UK's chief medical officers say.
29/06/21Covid: School isolation rules could end in autumn
The Covid control system in England's schools, where groups of pupils have to self-isolate if one tests positive, could be scrapped in the autumn.
26/05/21DfE had no plan for dealing with a pandemic, says critical report by MPs
Public accounts committee also said a failure to set standards for remote learning led to ‘unequal experiences’
25/05/21Exams 2021: How will my grades be assessed this year?
Exams have been cancelled for the second year running due to the impact caused by coronavirus. The government have put schools will be in charge of grades and assessments this summer in a bid to avoid the results day chaos caused by last year's controversial algorithm.