Posted on Thursday 2nd Mar 2017
This is how many pupils are set to miss out on their first-choice Kent secondary school in 2017
One in five pupils who applied for a place in a Kent secondary school for this September will not be offered their first choice.
More children than ever before have applied this year, with a total of 19,442 applications received - an increase of 645 from 2016.
There were 2,745 applications for Kent schools from parents who do not live in Kent and of those, 810 secured an offer, although it's not known how many were given their first choice.
Overall, 5,186 children will not be offered a place at their first-choice school – 3,251 of those are living in the county. Meanwhile, 616 pupils in Kent will not be offered any of their top four preferences.
Although there is an increase in applicants, 287 more children will get their first preference secondary school than last year and over 96 per cent will receive an offer from one of the four schools they named.
19/01/22What are the Covid rules in schools and will they stay open this term?
Face coverings will no longer be compulsory in England's secondary school classrooms from 20 January.
17/01/22Thousands more Kent secondary and special school places needed over the next five years
Thousands more Kent secondary and special school places will be needed over the next five years.
11/01/22Covid: Face mask refusals in some of England's secondary schools spark parents' concern
Secondary school pupils in England returned from the Christmas break this week to new advice – to wear face coverings in lessons and to take lateral flow tests at school before heading into classrooms.
19/10/21Further strikes threatened at universities this term
Students could face more strike action at universities this term after the academics' union opened a ballot over pay, pensions and conditions. University and College Union (UCU) general secretary Jo Grady said the UK's flagship university sector was built on the "exploitation of staff". They had experienced a decade of pension cuts, collapsing pay and insecure contracts, she said. University employers said the prospect of disruption was "disappointing".
01/10/21What changes are being made to GCSEs and A-levels next year?
Department for Education says 2022 will be a ‘transition year’